Contracting is a seriously competitive field. At ten80 group, we do everything we can to help our contractors increase their chances of success.
1. Ensure your website is easy to navigate, is clear and has current contact information. Ensure you have it connected to your LinkedIn profile, and that both of these are on your email signature. Make sure you add testimonials and case studies to showcase your work with satisfied clients (don’t be afraid to ask for these!)
2. No one wants to play phone tennis! Customers want a contractor who answers when they call. If this doesn’t always work, consider a phone answering service who will take messages for you, or outsourcing this task to another contractor who does admin support
3. Be easy to communicate with. There are a great many channels people use to correspond now, as well as emails and phone-calls. Keep in touch with colleagues and businesses through services such as LinkedIn, Slack, WhatsApp etc so that you can keep up with current news and developments
4. People want to work with nice people. Consider working with charities that may need your expertise by donating time or a percentage of client income to a good cause, and ensure you advertise this on your website. Social impact is becoming increasingly important to choosing who to work with
5. Enjoy what you do. If you are passionate and enthusiastic about what you do, you are more likely to be the one that succeeds. Be interested in the client’s business and what you can do to solve their problem. People remember people that they liked working with, which will mean they are much more likely to recommend you to peers
Neil is co-founder and CEO of ten80. With a strong background in SAP, Neil has worked as an end user, a consultant and as a contractor. He set up ten80 to allow clients to access the best SAP resources worldwide, and save money in the process.
Try out the ten80 contractor platform - it's free to sign-up and search for opportunities.